For most people, farms are synonymous with dirt and mud, but contrary to what they might believe, these facilities are far from dirty, as they need to be kept perfectly disinfected and sanitized for the sake of farm workers, animals, plants, and, of course, consumers. In this article, we will talk about farm disinfection, while also listing the best devices and products for disinfecting farms like a professional.
Why Disinfecting Farms Is Important?
According to the last census conducted by the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs of Ontario (2016), there are around 50,000 farms operating in the province. Some cultivate grains, like oats, barley, wheat, and corn; others cultivate fruits and vegetables like potatoes, sugar beets, and beans; and another group raises animals like dairy cows, beef cows, pigs, and poultry.
All farms in Ontario and across Canada need to follow certain guidelines and safety measures to cultivate high-quality products and to raise healthy animals. Cleaning, disinfecting, and sanitizing their facilities and machinery is a big part of those measures, as having a clean environment is what keeps everyone involved protected against contamination and potential diseases. That’s why these practices are so important.
Best Practices for Disinfecting Farms
For effective farm disinfection, farm operators must make sure all barns, feed systems, doorways, windows, ventilation systems, heavy machinery, and tools involved in their operations are treated with appropriate disinfectants at least once a day and deeply sanitized after every shipment of product. Using the right devices and tools for the job will also have a positive impact on their disinfection efforts.
Here’s a full breakdown of our recommended process:
- First, farms should design a disinfection strategy. This initial step includes purchasing disinfection equipment, training personnel to perform disinfection tasks, and stocking on disinfection supplies.
- Before disinfecting, farms must remove all organic material like manure, milk, blood, soil, or plant debris from barns and other spaces that need to be disinfected. Cleaning staff should do the same with all surfaces.
- Take small equipment and tools away for separate disinfection, as well as objects like feeders and drinkers, and even the boots worn by farmworkers.
- Proceed to disinfect spaces and surfaces using a fogging machine or an industrial sprayer.
Recommended Products for Disinfecting Farms
Selecting the best disinfection devices for a farm is a simple process. Farmers just have to take into consideration variables like type of farming operation, size of their facilities, staff available for disinfection tasks, and budget.
To get started, these are our recommended disinfection devices:
- Electric Mist Unit – This is a great device for large areas with diverse surfaces and numerous hard-to-reach areas, as it moves on wheels and comes with a very user-friendly handheld applicator. The machine features an onboard air compressor, a 15-gallon see-through tank for complete coverage in one session, and a quick-change pump.
- Industrial Fogger – Perfect device for large spaces and high ceilings, like barns. It is highly effective at eliminating contaminants like common viruses and bacteria from large and inaccessible spaces. It can also eliminate airborne pathogens, disinfecting the air in a space in just a couple of minutes. This model is capable of emitting disinfectant at a rate of 1,000 cubic feet per minute, propelling it high into the upper levels of a building.
- Wall Mounted Fog System – We consider this machine “a piece of innovative equipment” as it delivers frequent and consistent disinfection to high-traffic spaces or indoor spaces that require it. The device features a single shot timer with delay, a quick-change pump, and two nozzle options. It has been designed to be operated with pre-mixed disinfectants such as Ultra-Lyte Disinfectant, which is safe to use in farming operations.
- Heavy Duty ULV Fogger - Ultra Light Volume (ULV) Cold Fogger for the application of disinfectants, pesticides, and for mold and mildew control. This model has been designed for large spaces, including outdoor use, as it can project liquid disinfectants up to 10 meters. It is an excellent choice for spaces that exceed 2500 square feet.
We hope this information is useful to you and helps you find a method for disinfecting farms that work for your particular needs. If you need any assistance with farm disinfection or any other disinfection project, don't hesitate to contact us.
On an additional note, you should know that you can get a free quote for our services and products by visiting our website and filling out a simple form. We want to help you keep your spaces disinfected and safe for everyone, so get a free quote today.